Airport History
General Wm. J. Fox Airfield

In 1954, the Board of Supervisors approved General Fox's recommendation for the acquisition of an airport site in the Antelope Valley. During the next four years, land acquisition and construction of the airport progressed. The Federal Aviation Administration participated in the funding of the project. County funds for the purchase of clear title to War Eagle Field and funds from the public sale of Victory Field were placed in the County's special aviation fund for use as the County's share for acquisition and development of the new facility.

The new airport was dedicated on November 14, 1959, and named after General Fox. At the time of dedication, the airport property totaled 1200 acres. The improvements consisted of the 5,000-foot runway and taxiway, an aircraft parking ramp, and several small buildings. The temporary Airport Administration Building was previously a church and is still in use today by another County Department as a communications repair facility. In 1960 and 1961, the existing Administration Building and a Fire Station were constructed.

Since that time, aircraft maintenance hangars, aircraft storage hangars, and additional aircraft parking ramp have been constructed. In 1974 and 1975, a FAA Flight Service Station and Air Traffic Control Tower were constructed.

Also located on the airport property are the County-operated Apollo Park and the Milestones of Flight Museum. Additionally, the United States Forest Service operated a Fire Tanker base from temporary facilities from 1973 until 1980 when permanent facilities were constructed.

In the summer of 1998, the largest construction project, since the airport was constructed, broke ground. Runway and taxiway extensions added to both ends of the existing facility increased the overall length from 5,000 to 7,200 feet. Included in the project was a high-speed turn off, an aircraft engine run up apron, and a completely new, state-of-the-art airfield lighting system. Also included were a rubberized asphalt overlay on the original taxiway and a rubberized asphalt slurry seal on the original runway. The project cost approximately $4.5 million with over $4 million provided by Federal and State airport improvement grants. The remaining costs were paid for with money from the County Aviation Enterprise Fund.

In 2007 nearly $20 million has been spent on airport improvements, including over $4 million of County Aviation Fund money, over $11 million of Federal and State grants, and nearly $5 million of private development money. A Master Plan update in 1996 projected an additional $7.5 million outlay of combined Public and Private funds would be necessary to meet the forecasted trends over the next 20 years. Unable to foresee some of the exciting developments in the neighborhood that have recently occurred, and with the aggressive marketing of the surrounding area by the City of Lancaster, the projected $7.5 million investment has already been surpassed.

The City of Lancaster has been our loyal partner and supporter of Fox Airfield. In February of 2000, just over 120 acres was sold to the City, with the intent of promoting what the City has dubbed the Fox Field Industrial Corridor. You can now see the large commercial developments being built and in some cases already operating along Avenue G. And recently, in September of 2006 the County transferred nearly 97 acres to the City to construct a large detention basin, which includes a 22.76 acre drainage easement along 60th West and an 8.79 acre road maintenance easement along Barnes Avenue. The detention basin and drainage system will free up for development more than 200 acres of airport property that currently lies below the flood plain.

Adobe Reader