laco seal
Department of Public Works
Go to DPW home
Collage of various services by Public Works


Q1. Do I need a permit to demolish fire-damaged structures?
Yes, a permit is required to demolish fire-damaged structures. Debris removal is the responsibility of the property owner. Contact your insurance company and utility providers (i.e. gas, electricity, water, etc.) to verify the utilities have been cleared for safety prior to commencing work. Ask your insurance company if your policy covers demolition permit, debris removal, and disposal costs.
Obtain demolition permits from your local Building and Safety office at the following locations:
  • Antelope Valley District Office
    335A East Avenue K-6
    Lancaster, CA 93535
    (661) 723-4440
  • San Gabriel Valley District Office 125 South Baldwin Avenue
    Arcadia, CA 91007
    (626) 574-0941

    The demolition permit fee is $181.10. If more than one permitted structure was destroyed or damaged (i.e. detached garage, guesthouse, barn, storage building, etc.), multiple demolition permits may be required. The fee for each additional demolition permit is $27.10.
    Submit completed "South Coast Air Quality Management District Notification of Demolition or Asbestos Removal" and "Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling and Reuse Plan" forms. Applications can be submitted in advance of or concurrently with the demolition permit application.
    Q2. Will Public Works waive its recycling requirements for demolition of fire-damaged structures?
    Yes. Public Works waived the recycling requirements for demolition of fire-damaged structures.
    Q3. When do I need to remove the debris?
    Remove debris within a reasonable period of time after the fire. Fencing is required if any portion of a structure, swimming pool, or spa remains on the property and poses a safety hazard.
    Q4. Will bins be provided?
    Yes, Allied Waste/Consolidated Disposal, in partnership with Public Works, will provide the following services in the La Crescenta and Tujunga areas:
    • Free bins towards community cleanup efforts in the fire-affected areas.
    • Discounted bin service to individual property owners.
    • Limited $150 vouchers for Tujunga and La Crescenta residents requesting individual bins and/or self-hauling waste to Sunshine Canyon Landfill.
    To request:
    • Voucher or bin service from Allied Waste/Consolidated Disposal or obtain more information, please contact Eddie Fernandez at (818) 262-4232 or
    • Discounted bin services from Waste Management, please contact John Welson at (661) 510-1881 or Sandra Pursley at (661) 203-7451 or
    Q5. Which landfills can I take fire debris to?
    The following local landfills are authorized to accept fire debris. Please contact these landfills to obtain current pricing information.
    Metropolitan Area
    • Sunshine Canyon Landfill
      14747 San Fernando Road, Sylmar
      Rafael Garcia | (800) 926-0607
      $40 per ton* for fire debris
      $51 per ton* for typical discards
    • Puente Hills Landfill
      13130 Crossroads Pkwy South, City of Industry
      (562) 699-5204
      $33.86 per ton*
    • Chiquita Canyon Landfill
      29201 Henry Mayo Drive, Castaic
      (661) 253-5155
      $43 per pick-up truck
      $57 per ton*
    Antelop Valley Area
    • Antelope Valley Recycling & Disposal Facility
      1200 West City Ranch Road, Palmdale
      Becky Ayala | (661) 223-3430
      $50 per ton*
    • Lancaster Landfill & Recycling Center
      600 East Avenue F, Lancaster
      Becky Ayala | (661) 223-3430
      $37.50 per ton* for fire debris
      $50 per ton* for standard discards
    Remember to tarp your load to prevent litter.
    *One ton is about one pick-up truck load.
    Q6. How do I dispose of household hazardous and electronic waste?
    Public Works coordinated with the Los Angeles County Fire Department, Health Hazardous Materials Division, and the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) to provide assistance to the residents of the affected Station Fire with the cleanup of household hazardous waste and asbestos.
    As a result, DTSC will be funding and conducting free household hazardous waste and asbestos clean-up services for the affected Station Fire properties. If you need assistance, please call Los Angeles County Fire Department, Emergency Operations Section at (323) 890-4317 between 7am -5pm, M-F by November 19, 2009.
    Household hazardous waste that will be collected includes small propane tanks, household chemicals, and other products used for cleaning, painting, and disinfecting the house. Note that no electronic waste will be collected by DTSC. In addition, DTSC will be conducting asbestos cleanup activities in coordination with South Coast AQMD.
    To dispose of electronic waste, residents may take advantage of the County’s weekly collection events and permanent collection centers located throughout Los Angeles County. For more information, please visit or call 1(888) CLEAN LA.
    Antelope Valley residents can continue to drop off their household hazardous and electronic waste for free at the Antelope Valley Environmental Collection Center located at 1200 West City Ranch Road, Palmdale, CA. For more information, please visit or call 1(888) CLEAN LA. The Center is open on the first and third Saturdays of each month, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

    County LA DPW USFS Fire Department Office of Emergency Management County LA Sheriff City of LA City of Glendora Beaches and Harbors NOAA NRCS Metro EMD City of LA Caltrans USGS SoCalEdison American Red Cross
    Get Adobe Reader Get Adobe Reader