- Set your printers and copiers for double-sided printing.
- Request documents to be sent electronically and facilitate online submission of forms, plans, and documents. Access and review documents online.
- Simplify documents to reduce the total number of pages.
- Store documents electronically when possible instead of printing and storing hard copies.
- If faxing of documents is still needed, use Post-it fax transmittals instead of cover sheets.
- Use plastic, glass, or ceramic plates and mugs instead of disposable ones.
- For facilities other than typical office environments, find more waste reduction tips under the Smart Business Recycling Program.
- Reuse file folders, envelopes, binders, etc.
- Reuse other side of old paper documents for drafts, scratch, etc.
- Reuse old storage boxes again and again, including packaging materials.
- Use reusable bags to carry out purchased items from the cafeteria and nearby stores.
- Use reusable utensils, food and beverage containers at the office.
- Donate, acquire, or exchange materials with other County and non-County agencies using the L.A. County Surplus Program.
- Recycle white paper (printer/copy paper with minimal colored ink use and lined notebook/ledger paper), mixed paper (colored paper, vellum, coated paper, heavy paperboard, carbonless paper, and newspaper), and corrugated cardboard.
- Remove paper clips and other fasteners (besides staples) from paper to be recycled.
- Rinse beverage containers before placing in bin (a quick rinse is sufficient).
- Contact your Recycling Coordinator for info on your departmentâ€™s recycling programs.
- Coordinate pickup of trash, recycled paperboard/cardboard and beverage containers, scrap metal, x-ray film, and confidential documents for destruction with your facilities management.
- Recycle used motor oil and filters, EPS (foam) packaging, food waste, and green waste.
Buy Smart and Close the Loop
- Ask your procurement/supply officer to purchase recyclable
or recycled products for office supplies and equipment.
- Buy post-consumer recycled paper. County offers discounted prices on
- Purchase products with reusable, minimal or no packaging.
- Request that deliveries be shipped in returnable containers
and return cardboard boxes to the distributor when possible.
- Buy only necessary products and buy in bulk or in concentrated form to reduce packaging.