Illegal dumping is any unauthorized disposal of waste on any public or private property. Usually, people dump illegally to avoid collection and disposal fees, or because they believe proper disposal is just "too much trouble." Click on the links to the left for resources and more information to combat this ongoing problem.
There are three reasons: money, health, and the environment.
Specifically, illegal dumping:
- Is a community eyesore
- Decreases neighborhood property values
- Costs taxpayers millions of dollars in clean-up costs
- Negatively impacts plants and wildlife
- Poses safety hazards to people, especially children
- Provides a breeding ground for disease carrying rodents, insects and other vermin
- Disrupts natural land and water processes and ruins wildlife habitat
- Pollutes surface and ground water
- In general, lowers the quality of life for L.A. County's residents
Illegal dumping incidents can also be reported through
The Works iPhone application. This app offers a one-stop solution for County residents to report and track
incidents of alleged illegal dumping and property violations. The free application can be
downloaded at http://dpw.lacounty.gov/theWorks/