On this page you will find resources such as tool kits, fact sheets, and links to help you reach your sustainability goals. Click on a header below to expand that section.
- Roadmap to a Sustainable Waste Management Future Briefing Report - Summary of the Roadmap document available for download (PDF, 3.4 MB).
- Clean LA - Los Angeles County Department of Public Works' environmental services and information website.
- Toolkit to Reduce Household Food Waste - For residents who want to reduce their household food waste.
- Save the Food Campaign - Tools for consumers to help prevent food waste.
- EARTH 911 Recycling Guides - Helpful recycling guides for consumers.
- Waste Prevention and Recycling at Home - Resources for home waste prevention and recycling.
- Stop Junk Mail - How to reduce the amount of junk mail you receive.
- Green Spot Drop-off - Free and convenient electronic waste recycling.
- Plastic Bag and Film Recycling - Find where to take plastic bags and other thin film plastics for recycling.
- (ARTICLE) Undersized spuds, blemished apples now sold by Loblaw as 'Naturally Imperfect' - The Globe and Mail, 3/12/15.
- (VIDEO) Let's Go Green - Use Less Waste Less - Hong Kong aims to cut waste and boost recycling.
- (VIDEO) How This Town Produces No Trash - This Japanese town is on the path to zero waste.
- (VIDEO) The Story of Stuff - A detailed look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns.
- Tools for Assessing Wasted Food - Useful tools from the EPA to help businesses measure and track food waste.
- EPA's Food Recovery Challenge - For organizations that want to engage in food recovery.
- Smart Business Recycling - Resources for businesses for reducing waste and finding recyclers in LA County.
- Recycling Market Development Zone - Financial, technical and marketing assistance for businesses using recycled materials to make new products.
- The Legal Guide to the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act - The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Act reduces potential donor liability if food is donated in good faith and without gross negligence.
- U.S. Zero Waste Business Council - The U.S. Zero Waste Business Council mission is to educate, inform and document the performance of Zero Waste Businesses using scientific methods to help businesses and communities become more healthy and sustainable.
- (ARTICLE) French supermarkets banned from throwing away and spoiling unsold food - Stores in France are now required to donate unwanted food to charities and food banks.
- (ARTICLE) This Indian Company Is Making Edible Cutlery To Eat After Your Meal - A healthy and environmentally friendly alternative to plastic cutlery.
- (ARTICLE) We're Growing a House From Mushrooms - Packaging and building materials made from mushrooms and agricultural waste.
- 2016 Roadmap Annual Report - Click here for the 2016 Roadmap Annual Report.
- 2015 Roadmap Annual Report - Click here for the 2015 Roadmap Annual Report.
- EPA's Managing and Transforming Waste Streams Tool - For communities charting a path to zero waste.
- County of Los Angeles Departmental Recycling Program - Find useful information on recycling and waste reduction in the workplace.
- Find Your Department Recycling Coordinator - County of Los Angeles employees can search for their Department's recycling coordinator here.
- County of Los Angeles Surplus Program - Surplus County equipment and furniture may be available for sale. Click here to see available items.
- Find Your Department Surplus Coordinator - County of Los Angeles employees can search for their Department's surplus coordinator here.
- Waste Not OC - Orange County's food waste diversion program.
- (ARTICLE) San Francisco Becomes First City To Ban The Sale Of Plastic Bottles - The ban will phase out the sales of plastic water bottles that hold 21 ounces or less in public places.
- (ARTICLE) Los Angeles County prohibits expanded polystyrene containers at County facilities - Expanded polystyrene (EPS) containers, commonly known as Styrofoam, have been replaced by reusable or recyclable/compostable containers.