Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I have a sewer easement running through my property and I would like to build over it. What are the requirements for building over a sewer easement?

An encroachment permit is required to build over an existing Los Angeles County sewer easement. A permit application must be submitted to our local Building and Safety Office with four sets of plans. The local Building and Safety Office will forward one set of plans to the Waterworks and Sewer Maintenance Division for their review from a maintenance standpoint. In accordance with Los Angeles County Code, Section 20.24.140, no object, whether a permanent structure, or a temporary structure, or any object which is difficult of removal will be approved.


  Los Angeles County Code, Section 20.24.140
sewer SMD Sewers sewage treatment drain