Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I go about having a piece of land split into two?
I would like to build two homes on the land but I need to have two addresses.

The process to split a piece of land into smaller pieces is known as "subdivision." The subdivision process starts with the Regional Planning Department (DRP) where a tentative map must be filed first. After the tentative map is approved, a final map must be processed and recorded through Public Works.

You may request an appointment for a One Stop meeting where more detailed information is given for your specific property. The meeting is about 1 hour long and held every Tuesday at DRP. It is very informative. Please contact the Regional Planning Department at 213-974-6438 for an appointment and other available alternatives. You may also want to visit DRP website to get more information on line at this link:

  One Stop Counseling and Subdivision Information
subdivision lot split tentative final tract parcel map one stop regional planning LDD regional planning subdivision land development tentative map parcel tract lot split clearance bond drainage concept bulk grading private drain transfer sewer area study LID improvement future surface mining