Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I live in the unincorporated area of Monrovia and would like to build a block wall 6 feet high. Do I need a permit for this?

In the unincorporated Los Angeles County area, a freestanding fence or block wall may be constructed up to a height of six (6') feet without a permit. However, the Dept. of Regional Planning does have some restrictions on where that can be done. To completely answer your question, it would be necessary for a Regional Planning representative to review the layout of your property (site plan) with you. I would suggest that you contact our San Gabriel Valley District office at 626.574.0941. There is a representative from Regional Planning that periodically visits that office and would be able to provide answers specific to your property.

fence, wall BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check