Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Does the Department of Public Works issue permits for production or monitoring wells?

No, Public Works does not issue permits for the construction or destruction of production/monitoring wells. The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (CDHS) is the local agency issuing well permits. You may contact CDHS at (262) 430-5100 for further information and guidelines. In addition to the CDHS permit, you may also have to obtain approval from the adjudicated basin Watermaster (i.e. Main San Gabriel Basin Watermaster) and the Regional Water Resources Control Board.
If the well is to be placed within the public road right of way, a Road Permit is required. The Road Permit Application is available on this web site.

  San Gabriel Basin Watermaster

  Los Angeles County Dept of Health Services
CON contracts bids specifications