Best Practices: Design Excellence
Public Works values design excellence and utilizes a collaborative approach to design and construction, producing an aesthetically pleasing, high quality, and high performing project that fully meets the County's established criteria described as follows:
- Design that articulates architectural form, massing, and detailing.
- Architecture that is visually engaging, contextually responsive to the community, and timeless.
- Integrate art in the fabric of design.
- Architecture that creates a sense of "place".
- Meet the programmatic requirements efficiently and creatively.
- Innovative designs that add value beyond the expectations of the program without increase in cost.
- Provide a safe and productive workplace for County residents and staff.
- Design a building that is durable, operationally efficient, easily maintainable, and has low operational cost.
- Incorporate sustainability/green building concepts in design.
- Reduce energy consumption or carbon footprint compared to mean baseline.
- Mitigate impacts to surrounding environment.
- Design that contextually responds positively to the site conditions and to environmental policies.
- Utilize technology to meet and exceed program requirements.
- Incorporate innovation through multi-disciplinary integrated design.
- Delivery of Design Excellence on time and on budget.
- Use industry best practices to define measure, analyze, coordinate, and validate the design.
- Manage the design phase effectively to assure high-quality design.
- Build consensus through collaboration with tenants to meet the project goals and objectives.
- Ensure that highly talented and proficient design professionals are selected and maintained for the project duration.