Also known as "Raised Crossings" and "Sidewalk Extensions". These are basically speed tables or humps with crosswalk markings provided. Pedestrians have a level street crossing as a result - beneficial for disabled users.
These result in reduced vehicular speeds as per standard speed humps. However, they enhance the environment for pedestrians and disabled sidewalk users.
Permanent Mid-Block Design
1. Potential to reduce traffic speed.
3. No impact on on-street parking.
4. Minimum maintenance.
5. Improves accessibility for disabled pedestrians.
6. Improves general pedestrian environment.
1. Impacts emergency vehicle response times.
2. Not suitable on transit routes.
3. Not aesthetically pleasing.
4. Can affect drainage.
5. Can create noise pollution.