Median barriers are islands located along the center of a street, which extend through intersections and thereby restrict vehicular movements across the intersection.
They can be used to address cut-through traffic or excessive volumes on residential streets. However, they inevitably result in changes to travel patterns which can shift problems elsewhere. They also may cause inconvenience to residents and delays to emergency response vehicles. Breaks for pedestrians or cyclists can be provided.
Also called median diverters, or island diverters.
Baldwin Park, CA
1. An effective tool for reducing traffic volumes.
2. Can be used to prevent cut-through traffic.
3. Can be landscaped for enhanced aesthetics.
1. May cause inconvenience for residents
2. Emergency response agencies may not approve.
3. May transfer problems elsewhere.
4. Permanent versions may be expensive.