Roadway surfaces are paved with brick or stone, concrete pavers, textured asphalt or other materials designed to produce small changes in vertical alignment which can be detected physically and sometimes audibly by drivers. This textured surface can be extended over some distance to provide an improvement to the aesthetic look of the street. Colors can be used.
While they may reduce traffic speeds they may have an adverse effect on pedestrians, bicycle traffic and wheelchair users - especially when wet.
Baldwin Park, CA
1. Creates more pedestrian friendly intersection.
2. Enhances the aesthetics of the area.
3. Can use colorful interlocking pavers.
1. Heavy vehicles can raise the maintenance cost.
2. Potential increase in road noise.
3. Disliked by wheelchair users.