Semi-diverters are extensions from the curb or islands - usually extending from a corner of an intersection that block one directional lane of the street.
They are used to prevent drivers from making certain turn movements at an intersection. Semi-diverters can effectively reduce traffic volumes on a street although the diverted traffic may impact adjacent streets. Semi-diverters are very effective in reducing volumes at specific locations.
Semi-diverters affect all drivers, including local residents. Thus, care must be taken to consider the impacts on alternative routes as well as neighborhood access routes.
Culver City, CA
1. Reduces traffic volume.
2. Maintains access for residents.
3. Reduces cut-through traffic.
4. Reduces crossing distance for pedestrians.
5. Landscaping possible
6. OK for emergency vehicles.
7. Can provide 2-way access for bicycles.
1. May divert traffic to parallel streets.
2. May increase trip length for some residents.
3. 1-2 curbside parking spaces lost.
4. Maintenance needs if landscaped.