One-way Streets and associated signs are used to restrict all through traffic in a given direction on particular streets. When used on a series of streets they can be effectively used to prevent cut-through traffic.
One-way couplets or pairs of one-way streets going in two directions are not usually used for traffic calming because they often cause an increase in traffic speed. All one-way streets have the potential to increase travel speed and they may need to be used in conjunction with other speed control devices to offset this. It is important to obtain resident input in any plan to implement one-way streets because access routes to properties on or near the streets can be affected.
San Marino, CA
1. Simplify crossing for pedestrians.
2. Can be used to prevent cut-through traffic.
3. May provide room for a bike lane.
4. May allow more on-street parking to be added.
1. May increase travel speeds.
2. May cause inconvenience for residents and emergency response.
3. Best used with other speed reduction measures.
4. May affect adjacent streets and intersections.
5. Generally disliked by residents.