Tools to Address Volume Reduction & Collision Reduction
Installation of Stop Signs is governed by Warrants. The Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices states that ".STOP signs should not be used for speed control". They are included here as a possible tool for discouraging cut-through traffic in residential areas. They may also reduce collisions and severity of accidents (Source: Traffic Calming: State of the Practice - ITE, 1999)
They tend not to have much effect on mid-block speeds and can actually cause an increase. They tend also to have low compliance.
Unwarranted stop signs are not recommended.
1. Can reduce accidents and severity.
2. Low cost.
3. Often viewed as effective or desirable by residents.
1. Requires Warrants for installation.
2. Minimal effect on mid-block speeds.
3. Should not to be used as a speed control measure.
4. Tend to increase traffic noise.
5. Violation rate high if low volumes on through street.