Anticipated Start of Construction
- Santa Anita Debris Dam Seismic Strengthening and Enlargement Project - Spring 2019
- Santa Anita Headworks Improvements Project - Spring 2020.
- Santa Anita Spreading Grounds Enlargement and Enhancement Project (Phase 2) - The construction began on July 25, 2016, with an estimated completion of Fall 2018
- Santa Anita Dam Spillway Modification Project - The construction began on April 27, 2018, with an estimated completion of April 2020.
July 2015 - The Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration was adopted by the County of Los Angeles Board of Supervisors on July 14, 2015. The Notice of Determination was posted at the County of Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk from July 20, 2015 through August 19, 2015. No legal challenges were received. Regulatory permits are being obtained during the design phase for each project component.
April 2015 - The Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (IS/MND) has been released and includes a complete Response To Comments, the Mitigation Monitoring & Reporting Program, and Errata. Click here to view the document or see the "CEQA Documents" subsection under RESOURCES.
December 2014 - The IS/MND comment period has closed. The IS/MND was released for Public Review on Monday, October 20, 2014. The comment period was 45 days and ended December 4, 2014. Thank you to all who submitted comments. The documents are still available to view in the RESOURCES Section below and a Response to Comments will also be prepared and posted once available.
November 2014 - A Public Information Meeting was held on Wednesday, November 5, 2014 from 6-8pm at the Arcadia City Council Chambers. Staff from the Los Angeles County Flood Control District (LACFCD), BonTerra Psomas (environmental consultant), and Arellano & Associates (public relations sub consultant) presented the project and the IS/MND. Following the presentation, there was a group Question and Answer session and then a time for guests to visit topical breakout stations for further discussion. Materials from the Public Information Meeting are available in the RESOURCES Section below.
The proposed Project would modify three existing flood management and water conservation facilities along the Santa Anita Canyon Watershed, including the Santa Anita Dam (Dam), the Santa Anita Headworks (Headworks), and the Santa Anita Debris Dam (Debris Dam). The Project would improve the LACFCD facilities to better manage stormwater runoff and improve public safety by addressing seismic safety and other structural issues, as well as by preventing flood damage to downstream communities.
This project is partially funded by a State Proposition 1E grant as well as funds from the City of Arcadia, City of Sierra Madre, and the Raymond Basin Management Board.
- One Page Information Sheet
- Stakeholder Email Notice #1 (sent 10-7-14) - Save the Date
- Stakeholder Email Notice #2 (sent 10-20-14) - Public Release Announcement
- Stakeholder Email Notice #3 (sent 11-04-14) - Public Meeting Reminder
- Stakeholder Email Notice #4 (sent 11-20-14) - Public Review Reminder
- Stakeholder Email Notice #5 (sent 04-14-15) - Release of Final IS/MND (Response to Comments)
- Stakeholder Email Notice #6 (sent 07-02-15) - Public Hearing
- Project Location Maps
- Project FAQs
Public Information Meeting Materials
- Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (IS/MND)
- Appendix A - Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Impact Analysis
- Appendix B - Biological Technical Report
- Appendix C - Phase I Cultural Resources Assessment
- Appendix D - Noise Technical Report
- Notice of Intent to Adopt IS/MND
- FINAL IS/MND (Response to Comments, Mitigation Monitoring Reporting Program, & Errata)
CURRENT RELATED ACTIVITIES
Design for each Project component continues to progress.
For more information on the project or to be added to the project mailing list, please contact DAMPROJECTS@dpw.lacounty.gov
Updated on: 8/30/2018