- Your Water
- Customer Service
- System Improvements
- System Improvements
- Los Angeles County Waterworks District No. 21, Kagel Canyon
- Los Angeles County Waterworks District No. 29, Malibu
- Los Angeles County Waterworks District No. 36, Val Verde
- Los Angeles County Waterworks District No. 37, Acton
- Los Angeles County Waterworks District No. 40, Antelope Valley
- Marina Del Rey Water System
- Rancho Los Amigos Water System
- Forms & Reports
Cash for Grass Rebate Program
The Cash for Grass program has been a successful program and through the end of 2015, Waterworks customers will have removed over 2,000,000 square feet of inefficient turf and replaced it with drought-tolerant, efficient landscaping.
Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming popularity of the program and limited funding availability, we are no longer accepting applications. Applications for Cash for Grass Rebates that we have received to date will be processed in the order they were received and are subject to funding availability.
We will begin accepting applications again for the Cash for Grass Rebate Program on July 1, 2016. Applications already received this year will be kept on file and will receive first priority next year or when additional funds are available.
Customers that have started their turf replacement projects prior to receiving pre-approval are not disqualified from receiving a rebate; however, there is no guarantee that your rebate application will be approved or funded.
As an alternative to a rebate, all Waterworks customers qualify for the Los Angeles County Residential Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Program which enables property owners to install energy efficiency, renewable energy and water-saving improvements (such as artificial turf and drought tolerant landscaping) to their properties without putting any money down! Under PACE, homeowners may obtain a loan to finance these improvements. Homeowners then repay the loan annually through an assessment on their property tax bill. For more information on this program, please visit www.lapace.org.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Water Conservation Hotline at (626) 300-3313.
Cash for Grass Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Cash for Grass Rebate Program?
How long will this program last? Is there enough funding for my application?
How long does it take to get pre-approval?
Do you have a list of recommended contractors?
How long does it take to get a rebate check?
My project was recently completed. Can I still apply for the rebate?
I am interested but need financial assistance. Is assistance available for customers to finance a replacement project?
- Must be a customer of the Los Angeles County Waterworks District Nos. 21, 37, or 40
- Grass areas to be replaced must be maintained and should not be overgrown with weeds or brush.
- Customers with brown or yellow grass are still eligible for the program. The condition of the grass can be verified through historical aerial photography
- Customers will have six (6) months to complete the conversion project and can immediately stop watering the grass area to be replaced
- Please note, local city ordinances regarding lawn maintenance are only applicable to maintenance. Customers will not be fined for brown/yellow lawn areas
- New landscaping must include, but is not limited to:
- Native or drought-tolerant plants
- Mulch or Decomposed Granite
- Un-grouted stepping stones
- Artificial turf
- Permeable hardscape