laco seal
Department of Public Works
Go to DPW home

KidConservatioTips

It’s easy to do one thing each day that will save water. Tell your friends and neighbors and ask your parents to help out. See how many ways you can think of to help save water and protect the planet, and set a good example for others.

 

Even small savings make a big difference!

  • Don't let the water run while brushing your teeth.
  • Take shorter showers. Try setting a timer for five minutes.
  • Tell an adult if you notice a drippy faucet.
  • Don’t use the toilet as a trash can. Every time you flush a small bit of trash down the toilet you waste gallons of water.
  • Use one glass to drink from each day. This will cut down on the number of times your parents will run the dishwasher.
  • Wash your pet outside on an area of land that needs watering
  • Don't play in sprinklers. Running through water from a hose or sprinkler is fun, but wastes gallons of water.

 

Check out these sites for more fun water saving tips:

 

WateTrivia

How much do YOU know about water? Check out these fun and interesting facts and go test your family and friends on their water knowledge!

  • The human brain is composed of 95 percent water; blood is 82 percent water; and the lungs are nearly 90 percent water.
  • California is prone to both droughts and floods. The most recent prolonged dry spell was a six-year drought from 1987 to 1992. The most severe drought on record occurred in two consecutive years, 1976 and 1977, in which California received very little precipitation and surface water reservoirs were extremely low.
  • The world's rainiest place is Mt. Wai'ale'ale, Kauai, Hawaii. During an average year, there are only 15 dry days.
  • About 75% of California’s available water originates north of Sacramento, while about 80% of the demand occurs in the southern two-thirds of the state.
  • Desert camels drink about 50 gallons of water at a time, and can go nine days without water. Camels' humps contain fat, not water.
  • About 71% of the earth's surface is covered by water. That's almost three-quarters! If you saw Earth from outer space, it would look blue because of all the water.
  • Landscaping accounts for about half the water Californians use at home. Showers account for another 18%, while toilets use about 20%.
  • You can live without food for more than two months, but you can't survive much more than a few days without water.
  • 97% of the earth's water is in the oceans, which leaves only 3% of the earth's water as fresh water. Of the fresh water, only 1% is available for use as drinking water.

One

Sprinkler Settings
Set your sprinkler system to water only at night. You'll save hundreds of gallons of water each month!

Two

Fixing Leaks
Fix indoor faucets and toilet leaks and save thousands of gallons each month.

Three

Drought-Tolerant Gardening
Plant native and drought-tolerant landscapes and save tens of thousands of gallons each month.

Waterworks Site:  FAQ  |  Contact  |  SiteMap

Adobe Reader