Home Energy Rating System Program
Energy Efficiency can be Your Advantage in the Current Home Market
The California Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Program provides a reliable way to estimate and compare the energy efficiency of California homes and identify cost effective energy saving improvements. Whether you are buying or selling a home, or staying in your current residence, getting a home energy rating or audit will help you determine which upgrades will be most cost effective, yield the highest energy savings, increase the comfort of your home, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. As buyers become more aware of the benefits of an energy-efficient home, those with a favorable home energy rating may be more appealing to buyers.
In California, new homes must be built to comply with the latest Building Energy Efficiency Standards (Standards). A majority of homes, however, were built before the first Standards were adopted in 1978, and have limited energy efficiency measures. Additionally, homes built after 1978 continue to have significant opportunities for energy efficiency improvements.
The 2011 updated edition of the HERS Booklet: What Is Your Home Energy Rating? is an informative publication created by the California Energy Commission to:
- Describe Whole-House Home Energy Rating services and their benefits, and how to find a certified professional HERS Rater.
- Provide home buyers, sellers, brokers, and appraisers with information about the opportunity to invest in energy efficiency improvements at the time-of-sale.
- Explain the desirability of obtaining utility bills from the seller.
- Identify the potential of adding sales appeal and value to your home through energy efficiency upgrades.
- Offer options for financing energy efficiency improvements and explain where to find tax credit and rebate information.
More information may be found at HERS website