Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

My garage is flooding every time it rains. I have 3 questions:

1) Do I need a permit to tear the structure down?

2) I would like to build a mother-in-laws quarters for my future mother-in-law who is planning on moving to California from New Jersey in the next few months. If I build the garage 15 feet from the rear property line, then I will no longer have a backyard. Are there any exceptions to the set back rules?

3) How long does it generally take to get a permit to build a mother-in-law quarters?

Thank you.

Yes, a permit is required to demolish an existing building.

Once the County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning approves your plans for new construction, the building plans should be submitted with a building permit application at the Lomita District Office located at 24320 S. Narbonne Ave. Thereafter, the initial building plan review should be complete in two weeks. It is recommended that you contact the Lomita District Office at (310) 534 3760 and speak to a plan checker and the regional planning representative if you have specific questions about your project.

Regarding the setback zoning requirements you may contact the County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning, a link is provided below for your convenience

Department of Regional Planning
Hall of Records (13th Floor)
320 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Telephone: (213) 974-6411

  County of Los Angeles Dept. of Regional Planning
BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check