Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I am interested in purchasing a vacant lot but the street in front is 10 feet across. Can I build on a lot with a narrow street? In addition, there is a slope on the property. Are there any special permits I need to obtain and are there any special considerations ?


Please contact the County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning at (213) 974-6411 regarding zoning issues in the unincorporated areas of the County of Los Angeles, a link is provided below for your convenience.

Although not required, you may wish to schedule a "One Stop" counseling appointment in order to obtain additional information from representatives of the Department of Public Works, the Fire Department and Regional Planning staff. You may schedule a "One Stop" appointment by calling (213) 974-6438.

Regarding the slope of the property, a grading permit may be required depending on the scope of work, and a soils report may be required to obtain approval of the structural plans. If you have further questions regarding improvements please contact the East Los Angeles Building and Safety Office at (323)260-345.

County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning
Hall of Records (13th Floor)
320 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 974-6411

  County of Los Angeles Dept. of Regional Planning
slope BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check