Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What Agency has the jurisdiction on the movement of dirt for agriculture on land that is zoned A-2 in the County of Los Angeles? Are there any restrictions? What are they and who do I contact?

The Department of Public Works has jurisdiction over the movement of dirt used for agriculture in the unincorporated areas of the County of Los Angeles. The building standards related to earthwork are found in Appendix Chater 33 of the 2002 L.A. County Building Code. This code can be obtained from the International Code Council at

To best address your particular situation, please contact Grading Section of the Building and Safety Division at (626) 458-6390 to explain the purpose and extent of the proposed work. The soil movement is potentially exempt and the Building and Safety staff can make a determination and assist you.

LDD regional planning subdivision land development tentative map parcel tract lot split clearance bond drainage concept bulk grading private drain transfer sewer area study LID improvement future surface mining