Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are the rear and side required setbacks as well as required rear yard open area and any relevant building plans requirements for room addition?

The Department of Regional Planning governs setback requirements for unincorporated Los Angeles County areas. They may be contacted via the web link below. For a room addition, you may view the minimum requirements by visiting the 'Minimum Requirements' link below and typing "Residential Minimum Requirements" in the search field. A .PDF file will open showing all of the requirements for construction in the Los Angeles County area.

  Minimum Requirements

  County of L.A. Department of Regional Planning
Minimum Plan Submittal Requirements - Residential BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check