Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I plan to build a 3 feet high free-standing block wall in my backyard along my property line. However, the block wall will be situated along the edge of a downward slope of about 10 feet high. Do I need to get a permit for building this block wall?

Thank you for contacting the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works. You may need to obtain a permit for the construction of the wall you have described due to its location adjacent to a slope. Please visit your Building and Safety Division's local District Field Office (see link below) and ask to speak with a plan check engineer. She or he will be able to further assist you, and if you do not need a permit, explain the requirements for the footing for the wall located on/near a slope. Thank you for your inquiry.

  Building and Safety District Field Offices
Wall Near Slope BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check