Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Concerning a 8'X16'storage shed, can you tell me what the setback is for a shed from the property line/fence?

Also, what is the procedure to obtain permission to have the shed under an Oak tree? I've been told that the shed can not be under the drip area of the tree and I would need permission to build a shed under the tree.

An 8'x16' accessory building requires a building permit from the Department of Public Works, Building and Safety Division. Approval from the Department of Regional Planning is required to obtain the building permit. Please contact the District field office below to make an appointment to meet a Regional Planning representative to discuss the setback requirements from property lines and oak trees for the construction of your accessory building.

San Gabriel Valley District Field Office
125 S. Baldwin Avenue
Arcadia, CA 91007
(626) 574-0941

  LA County Department of Regional Planning
oak tree BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check