Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

My neighbor has diverted drainage from the hillside above their house. The drainage water originally flowed down their hillside. Their drainage channel now empties onto my property running across my upper driveway, which is dirt. The water has eroded a ditch, which is now more than a foot deep. Aren't they responsible for making sure that this diverted runoff water does not cause erosion on my property? In addition, it is beginning to undermine a public road.

Thank you for contacting the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works. Please contact the regional drainage engineer available at the Building and Safety Field Office serving your area. The drainage engineer can assist you with the regulations for water flow across property lines and your options for protecting your property.A link is provided below to identify the locations of our Field Offices.

  Building and Safety District Offices
BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check