Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I would like to change my old Aluminum frame single glass to a double glazed glass Retro-Fit. Do I have to obtain a building permit? As someone said, we don't need to have a permit if we have not changed the frame. With Retro-Fit windows, we keep the old windows frame. Is that truth?? Thank you for your answering.

In areas served by the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works Building and Safety Division a building permit would be required for a window replacement as described. Please contact the Building and Safety District Office serving your area. A link to the County of Los Angeles Building and Safety District Office locations is provided below.

  County of Los Angeles Building and Safety Offices
window replacement BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check