Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I want to put paving on a private dirt road and build a house in an unincorporated area of the county, the area does not have power or sewers. How would I find out the process to legally pave and build a house and put in a septic system, if power is not financially accessible can I build the house and use a propane generator instead of hooking up to Edison power over 1 mile away?

Zoning information may be obtained by contacting the County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning at (213) 974-6411. Telephone hours are 7:00 a.m. to noon, Monday through Thursday. Public counter hours are 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

Although not required, you may wish to schedule a "One Stop" counseling appointment in order to obtain additional information from representatives of the Department of Public Works, the Fire Department, and Regional Planning staff. You may schedule a "One Stop" appointment by calling (213) 974-6438. One Stop" meetings are held at the Department of Regional Planning, 320 West Temple, 13th Floor, Los Angeles.

  County of Los Angeles Dept. of Regional Planning
BSD buildings safety plumbing mechanical electrical structural codes structures permits permitting plans blueprints ordinances built fences walls inspections occupancy heating ventilation conditioning energy zoning EDAPTS pools garages septic remodeling patios UBC IBC roofs heater plan check