The project consisted of a new aquatic center that replaced the existing over 70 year old pool facility at Arcadia Community Regional County Park. The new aquatic center was completed in May 2012 and features an approximately 8,100 square-foot pool building, an outdoor 25-meter by 25-yard competition pool, and a 6,300 square-foot shallow recreation swimming pool with a combined children's splash pool. The project was awarded LEED Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, and the final determination from USGBC is expected by June 2013. The park facility and its original buildings have historical significance in the community, and the exterior design of the new aquatic center retains the look and style of the original architecture while creating a modern sustainable facility benefiting both the community and the environment.
Benefits to Environmental Resources
The project optimized energy performance and water use efficiency, enhanced the sustainability of the site, improved indoor and outdoor environmental quality, and maximized the use and reuse of sustainable, recycled, and local resources.
* Achieved reduced water consumption by using drought tolerant landscaping and water-efficient irrigation system.
* Achieved over 40 percent indoor water-use reduction with water-efficient plumbing fixtures.
* Achieved building energy efficiency of 15 percent over current energy code requirements by using a high-performance and energy-efficient heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system.
* Provided 30 percent regional materials use, including, concrete masonry block, plaster, roof tiles, and concrete.
* Achieved diversion of over 95 percent of construction waste from landfill.
* Provided over 15 percent of recycled content as a percentage of total materials cost.
Contribution to wellbeing of DPW and the County
The new facility enhances cultural, recreational and educational opportunities for residents and visitors.
Contribution to Economic Health
The project is an investment in public infrastructure and reduced operation and maintenance costs.