Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I report a streetlight out?
    If you notice a streetlight is burned out or needs repair, please contact the Southern California Edison Company at 1 (800) 611-1911 or online at the SCE Online Service Request at the SCE Request page. The Street Lighting Section Hotline can also be reached at 1 (800) 618-7575.
  2. Why doesn't my street have streetlights?
    In October 1964, the Los Angeles County adopted the subdivision ordinance, which requires developers to install a street lighting system in each division of land in the unincorporated areas. Before 1964, the County installed streetlights only if developers volunteered to install them or unless requested by the community.
  3. What type of streetlights are there?
    There are streetlights on wood, steel and concrete poles. Typically, streetlights on wood poles with overhead wiring can be installed at no cost to the property owners. Concrete poles with overhead or underground wiring can also be installed with the installation cost paid for by the benefitting property owners. Streetlights on steel poles are no longer installed. If you wish to request new or additional streetlights in your community, please submit the request at the Streetlight Request page, or contact Street Lighting Section at (626)300-4753
  4. What type of lighting fixtures is being used?
    High pressure sodium (HPS) lighting is being used in the Los Angeles County unincorporated areas and in the 19 cities whom the County administers their lighting districts. HPS lamps were introduced in the 1970's and are one of the more popular street lighting options. HPS light is the most efficient light source when compared to mercury vapor and metal halide lamps. HPS lighting produce mostly a yellow light.

    In recent years, some metal halide lamp (MH) streetlights have been installed on roadways. MH lighting produce a white light. It is not nearly as popular as its HPS counterparts, as it is less energy efficient.

    Mercury Vapor (MV) lamps were installed in the past. In 1948 the installation of MV lamps was deemed a major improvement over the incandescent streetlight lamps. MV lighting produce a bluish-green light.

    Light Emitting Diode (LED) streetlights are the latest in streetlight technology. They are much more energy efficient and provide improved visibility to motorists. The County has installed LED streetlights for the County owned streetlights.
  5. Who is responsible for the installation of streetlights?
    The Street Lighting Section of the County of Los Angeles has responsibility for design, construction and operation of street lighting in the County areas and in the 19 cities whom the County administers their lighting districts. The majority of streetlights are installed by developers under contract with the County or under permits.
  6. Who pays for the installation, maintenance and operation of streetlights?
    For the maintenance and electrical energy costs required to operate streetlights are paid by the lighting districts share of ad-valorem property taxes and assessments. The cost to install these lights depends on the type of their installations. The streetlights on wood poles are installed at no cost. The streetlights on concrete poles for underground and overhead wiring are installed at cost by the benefitting property owners.
  7. Better lighting is needed on my street. How can I get more lights or upgraded lights?
    Upon receipt of request, Street Lighting Section will investigate the existing street lighting system to determine if additional lighting is needed. If the area is in the lighting district, it takes approximately from 8 to 12 months to install the streetlights. If the area is not in a lighting district then annexation is required which can take up to 12 months to annex the area into a County lighting district and additional 8 to 12 months to install the streetlights. Generally, a petition is needed when there is more than 3 streetlights being requested on the street
  8. How to prepare and submit a street lighting plan if I was conditioned by the County to install streetlights.
    The street lighting plan required as part of a development/project approval must be prepared per Procedures for the Preparation of Streetlights Layouts manual. This manual is found on the Developers page.