Environmental Defenders Rock the Planet You Can Change the World Tour
The Environmental Defenders Rock the Planet You Can Change the World Tour is a 30-minute, high-energy assembly program that is free to all elementary schools in Los Angeles County. This exciting, music-driven show encourages students in grades K-6 to identify environmental issues and actions kids can take themselves to reduce and prevent pollution.
Performed by two professional children's theater actors and their animated friends the Environmental Defenders, this fully contained assembly uses music, call-and-response, audience participation, and repetition to effectively communicate environmental concepts including:
- The Four R's (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Rethink)
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Water Conservation
Sponsored by Los Angeles County, the Environmental Defenders program has been educating elementary school children since 1996. The current version of the show, the Environmental Defenders Rock the Planet You Can Change the World Tour, launched in April 2014 featuring all-new animation and updated versions of its popular songs.
According to a 2014 research study*, after seeing the Environmental Defenders assembly:
- 60% of students reported doing more to protect the environment.
- 70% of students shared what they learned from the assembly with family and friends.
- Students reported they did more to reduce waste and reuse items at home than before seeing the assembly.
- 38% more students knew how to properly dispose of household hazardous waste than before seeing the assembly.
- 20% more students (compared to before seeing the assembly) knew to prevent stormwater pollution by not throwing garbage in the street.
*Study designed by RAND Corporation researchers and conducted by Goodwin Simon Strategic Research for County of Los Angeles Dept. of Public Works.
Spread the Word
Let others know about this exciting assembly program! Share these flyers with your school.