The project consisted of the construction of a new Mission style construction of an approximately 15,000 square foot new gymnasium and community building that includes a gymnasium, a multipurpose room, classroom with computer stations, lobby area, restrooms, full kitchen to support community activities and events, storage, and custodial and utility rooms. The Project also includes the construction of a new parking area, walkways, security lighting, and landscaping. The project was designed to be sustainable with energy/water efficient features and is pending its Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Silver certification.
Benefits to Environmental Resources
The project optimized energy performance and water use efficiency, enhanced the sustainability of the site, improved indoor and outdoor environmental quality, and maximized the use and reuse of sustainable, recycled, and local resources.
- Low VOC-emitting building materials throughout (Improved Air Quality)
- High efficiency plumbing fixtures including low flow urinals
- High efficiency landscape irrigation
- High efficiency mechanical systems zoned in alignment with the hours of use
- Interior air quality management during construction
- Site and building lighting to avoid light pollution
- High efficiency lighting and controls
- Use of bio-swales for storm water retention and ground water recharge
- Maximizing daylighting to reduce energy usage and improve indoor environments
- Use of FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood
- Use of regional materials
Contribution to wellbeing of DPW and the County
The new facility enhances cultural, recreational and educational opportunities for residents and visitors.
Contribution to Economic Health
The project is an investment in public infrastructure and reduced operation and maintenance costs.