- Your Water
- Customer Service
- Forms & Reports
Water Conservation Tips
With unpredictable water resources and a state mandate to reduce water use by 20 percent by the year 2020, water conservation should be a high priority for all residents. Even in years of normal rainfall, every drop counts!
Try these 20 easy and effective ways for the next 20 days to save water throughout your home and garden:
- Water at night with shorter bursts.
- Wash only full loads of clothes.
- Reduce watering times.
- Fix leaky toilets.
- Take 5 minutes showers instead of 10.
- Install drip irrigation.
- Install aerators on bathroom faucets.
- Plant native and drought tolerant plants.
- Install a high efficiency washing machine.
- Check sprinkler system for broken and clogged sprinkler heads and replace them right away.
- Wash only full loads of dishes.
- Fill the bathtub halfway or less.
- Install a high efficiency toilet.
- Put a layer of mulch around trees and plants to reduce evaporation.
- Install a water and energy efficient dishwasher.
- Adjust sprinklers to water plants, not the driveway or sidewalk.
- Install a smart controller.
- Use a broom to clean driveways, sidewalks and patios.
- Turn water off when brushing teeth or shaving.
- Remove grass and replace with water efficient landscaping.
The following table illustrates the amount of water you can save by making a few small changes to your daily activities. By adjusting your daily routine and installing water-wise devices you can save thousands of gallons every month!
|Regular Toilet:||Ultra-Low Flush Toilet:||Regular Shower:||Low-Flow Shower Head:|
|5-7 gallons||1.6 gallons||8 gallons/minute||2.5 gallons/minute|
|Full:||Half Full:||Open Tap:||Full Basin:|
|20 gallons||10 gallons||5-10 gallons||1 gallon|
|Brushing Teeth||Washing Hands|
|Open Tap:||Brush & Rinse:||Open Tap:||Full Basin:|
|2-3 gallons||1/4-1/2 gallon||1-2 gallons||1 gallon|
|Washing Produce||Auto Dishwasher|
|Open Tap:||Full Sink:||Standard Cycle:||Short Cycle:|
|5-10 gallons||1-2 gallon||10-15 gallons||8-13 gallon|
|Open Tap:||Full Basin Wash & Rinse:||Everyday:|
|30 gallons||5 gallon||67-140 gallons|
|Pool (20ft. x 40ft.)||Car Washing|
|Uncovered:||Covered:||Open Tap:||Shut-Off Nozzle:|
|900-3000 gallons/month||300-1100 gallons/month||100-200 gallons||50 gallons|
To find more ways you can save water throughout your home, visit the California Urban Water Conservation Council’s interactive home tour at www.h2ouse.org.
The following sites offer even more easy ways to save water indoors: